We are holding elections for a new exec team for next year, 2016-2017!
Anyone is welcome to apply for an exec position. In order to apply, send a short 100-200 word blurb to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining who you are and why you are applying for this position. Include your blurb in an email with the subject heading “Name: Position” (ex. Amy: VP Communications).
All candidates’ blurbs must be received in the account by Wednesday April 6, 2016 at 11:59 pm. We will hold our launch party & exec election event on Thursday April 7th, 2016 at 6:00 pm at ECOLE (3559 University Street) during which voting will take place, and successful candidates will be announced at the end of the meeting.
Facebook event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/493825794153785/
We will also have copies of the printed journal that the newspaper team has produced this year. We will also be showcasing clips of radio portfolio’s podcast on the Syrian Refugee crisis and TV portfolio’s documentary on Indigenous homelessness in Montreal If you have written or edited this is your chance to celebrate your work! Bring your friends! There will be snacks and drinks. Come join us in celebrating JHR McGill’ hard work this year!
Following exec elections, we will have a few weeks of an exec-transition period, where our current exec will pass on their knowledge to new exec.
If you have any questions about the application process or the positions, please let us know! Our current exec are happy to explain their positions and roles.
Positions Available (From the JHR McGill Constitution):
*Note that Newspaper and TV portfolios each have two co-VPs (two positions available for each portfolio)
The President shall:
- Coordinate the overall activities of the club
- Represent JHR and act as a liaison between the Chapter and the Head Office
- Be the main point of contact between the SSMU VP Clubs and Services and the club
- Ensure the smooth running of the Club as a whole through facilitation of, and mediation with, the various EC portfolios with a vision that is consistent with the Club mandate.
- Act as chairperson for all general meetings and executive meeting
- May cast the deciding vote in the event of a EC deadlock
- Co-sign all financial transactions with the Treasurer.
- Be responsible for arranging and booking meeting rooms, and event rooms organizing and obtaining refreshments, and drafting agendas for executive and general meetings- to be coordinated with VP Events
- Maintain the accessibility of the club to all members
- Ensure that the Club is abiding by the Constitution, By-laws and Policies of the Students’ Society of McGill University
The Vice President Internal shall:
- Ensure financial transparency of the club
- Be responsible for promoting the image of the Club to the community within and outside McGill University
- Research potential grants, sponsorships and donors
- Prepare financial statements to be submitted to JHR and to SSMU
- Prepare and maintain a budget for the year
- Collect receipts for out-of-pocket expenditures and issue reimbursement
- Keep all receipts/statements for the incoming VP Internal
- Co-sign all financial/legal transactions with the President
- Prepare applications for grants and subsidies internally and externally
- Collect any member fees approved by the Executive Committee
- Conduct all activities and responsibilities concerning the SSMU (e.g. room bookings, audits, office request forms, etc.)
The Vice President of Advocacy shall:
- Act as a representative to the JHR McGill Chapter outside of the university, as well as to other clubs and services related to the mandate
- Coordinate educational events with the VP Events
- Coordinate advocacy campaigns either solely or in conjunction with other human rights groups
- Support reporting on current human rights issues by the Newspaper, Radio, and TV team
The Vice President of Events shall:
- Coordinate educational events (e.g. speaker panels and film screenings) with the VP Advocacy
- Organize fundraisers (e.g. samosa sales, parties, and pub nights)
- Be responsible for arranging and booking meeting rooms, and event rooms organizing and obtaining refreshments, and drafting agendas for executive and general meetings- to be coordinated with President
The Vice Presidents of Newspaper (2) shall:
- Organize the publication of the chapter newspaper at the end of the year
- Coordinate article submission and editing (for online articles on website and chapter newspaper at the end of the year)
The Vice President of Design shall:
- Coordinate the layout and photo selection of the chapter publication (knowledge of InDesign is extremely helpful!)
- Remodel website when necessary to be accessible to members and public. Ensure other portfolios to know how to put content here. Put up general content regarding our club. Maintaining website with current information will be aided by VP Communication.
- Design any logos or other promotional materials. Keep all club graphics, artwork, and documents on file
The Vice President of Radio shall:
- Coordinate the creation of radio shows
- Ensure that radio team members receive the necessary CKUT training
The Vice Presidents of Television (2) shall:
- Coordinate the creation and editing of human rights documentaries
- Ensure that TV team members receive the necessary training
The Vice President of Communications shall:
- Maintain a detailed list of chapter members
- Provide notice of chapter and executive meetings
- Keep minutes and distribute agendas at executive and general meetings
- Maintain the JHR McGill Chapter website, listserv with current information to ensure accessibility of the club to all members. Maintaining website with current information will be aided by VP Design.
- Coordinate publicity for JHR events and opportunities to promote JHR throughout the McGill community